Monday, May 23, 2016

What I want you to know about therapy from a therapist

What I Want You to Know is a series of reader submissions. It is an attempt to allow people to tell their personal stories, in the hopes of bringing greater compassion to the unique issues each of us face. If you would like to submit a story to this series, click here. Today’s guest post is by Katie.



Going to therapy can be scary and intimidating. Too often I hear many of my clients report that they feel weak for coming to my office... But there are things you don’t know… things I, as a therapist, want you to you know.

What I want you to know is that sometimes when you leave my office I step into the bathroom and weep while washing my hands with burning hot water in attempt to center myself after hearing of the horrific trauma that happened to you and seeing the fear in your eyes as you recount that story.

What I want you to know is that I think you are the bravest person I have ever met.

What I want you to know is that you are teaching me to be honest and vulnerable and to be my most authentic self.

What I want you to know is that when I see a company that’s hiring, I immediately think of you because I know you are job searching.

What I want you to know is that even though my paycheck barely pays my bills I can’t imagine not sitting across from you each week.

What I want you to know is that when you tell me your most shameful moment, I see how beautiful you are.

What I want you to know is that when you come to my parenting support group for parents whose children are incarcerated I think you are the best mother that your daughter could ever have.

What I want you to know is that when you are weeping over the loss of your brother that my heart carries the heaviness as if hoping that even my small fraction of time with you takes away some of your burden.

What I want you to know is that I’ve never been in more awe, or more honored that someone has chosen to share their soul with me.

What I want you to know is that each day you, by shining your light of bravery and courage and vulnerability you are teaching me how to be a better friend, a better (future) parent, a better daughter, a better sister, a better partner and a certainly a better therapist.
Source: What I want you to know about therapy from a therapist

No comments:

Post a Comment